Wednesday, June 16, 2021
Tuesday, May 18, 2021
YOUR BOOKS ARE DUE! TURN THEM IN TODAY!
Monday, May 3, 2021
Monday, September 28, 2020
Read eBooks with the Sora app
You can now read eBooks from HCMS Library through the Sora app!
Follow the directions on the left-side of directions page to set up your
account. Then follow the directions on the ride-side of the page to add the
Westbank Library and begin checking out eBooks from them (you don't
even need a Westbank Library card!).
(Click the directions page to open up a linked document)
Check out physical books from the HCMS Library (for our in-building learners)
Our in-building learners can check out physical books from the HCMS Library!
You have two ways to check out:
1) Pop into the Library and we'll help you get a book
2) Put the book on Hold by logging into the Library system and we'll deliver the book to you in class. Learn how HERE.
Wednesday, August 19, 2020
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
There has been a lot in the media lately surrounding racism in America.
You may have questions. You may be confused. You may be sad or angry or scared. You may be wondering, "What can I do?"
As your librarian, it is my duty to provide resources for you to deal with issues. To help you find clarity.
So here are some resources for you to dive into. Resources that promote antiracism. This list is just the beginning. Educate yourself. Research. Join. Follow. Devote yourself to love.
- HERE is a list of 31 children's books that support conversations on race, racism, and resistance.
- I've also curated a list of similar titles on our HCMS Library Sora/Overdrive account. These are ebooks that you can access at home.
- Log into the SORA app (using THESE DIRECTIONS).
- Click on Collections
- Select "Black Lives Matter"
- I especially encourage you to check out the book Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds (adapted from Stamped by Ibram X Kendi). It is an important read. It is a necessary read. I've purchased extra ebook copies that are available in Sora. But I also encourage you to order your own copy. This is one that you will want to revisit, reread, and write in. Trust me.
I love THIS VIDEO from Franchesca Ramsey about how to be an ally.
KidLit Rally for Black Lives - Listen to some of our favorite authors
- Check in with your black friends, family, partners, etc
- Educate yourself and read up on what it means to be antiracist
- Screenshot, share, and repost resources to educate those around you
- Don't center the narrative around you. Identify privilege and condemn it
- Stop supporting organizations that promote hate.
- Be an ally and advocate after the outrage ends
- Continue to donate, fund, and support initiatives you care about
- Don't shy away from difficult conversations
- When the time comes, register to VOTE and then exercise your right! VOTE!
- COMMIT: Fill in your on-going commitment for racial justice and SHARE! "I Commit to: ____________"
- Any time you have concerns, reach out to your leaders (email, tweet, call, etc)
- Use your voice!
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Here are some resources to keep you reading and busy this summer!
The little plus signs on the images are links to the resources.
Click on the dolphin for information on the three live trivia events that I'm hosting this summer. So go ahead and mark your calendars now!
Have a great summer and remember to READ, READ, READ!
I miss you and can't wait to see you next year!
We may be learning remotely, but the Library is still OPEN! Sort of...
We've purchased loads of great eBooks for you to check out from the HCMS Library and read on your SORA App. CLICK HERE for directions.
There are also a TON of great, free online eBooks and Audiobooks available to you!
FIRST Watch THIS VIDEO
THEN use THIS FLYER to access all of the free resources available to you. Save this flyer to your home screen so that you can quickly access it.